- Check the label on your medicine before taking it to make sure that it is for the correct person — you.
- Read and save any written information that comes with the medicine. If there’s anything you don’t understand, please ask the pharmacy team.
- Take the medicine according to the schedule on the label. Its important that added instructions such as before or after food are followed too.
- Don’t take more or less than the prescribed amount of any medicine. Use a proper 5ml spoon or measure for liquid medicines
- If swallowing tablets is difficult, ask us whether there is a liquid form of the medicine or whether you could crush your tablets. However, do NOT break, crush, or chew tablets without asking a pharmacist first.
- Get into the habit of checking the expiry dates on your medicine bottles, and don’t use beyond that date.
- Try to set and follow a routine for taking your medicines, it makes remembering much easier.
- Store in a cool dry place – bathroom or some kitchen cupboards are not ideal due to condensation and heat
- Disposal – take any unwanted medicines back to your pharmacy for safe destruction
- Ordering more – remember to order in plenty of time especially allowing for bank holidays and weekends
Top Tips to help you get the best from your Prescription Medicines