Diabetes Type 2 is caused by your body not being able to produce enough insulin, or that insulin not working properly. Insulin is a hormone which helps to break down the carbohydrates or sugars in our food, so without it, blood sugar rises and can cause a number of problems including
- The need to “pee” a lot, especially at night.
- Feeling more thirsty and/ or more tired than usual.
- Personal itching or thrush.
- Blurred vision.
If left untreated it can become very serious indeed and lead to
- Wounds not healing properly
- Circulation problems & numbness
- Heart & kidney problems
- Worsening sight or blindness
To see what your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes is, we can do an assessment which asks questions such as:
- Your age, height, weight and waist measurement
- What your diet & lifestyle’s like
- any medication you take or medical conditions.
- If any of your family has diabetes
If you are at high risk, or at your request we can measure your blood glucose level, by taking a small finger-prick sample of blood. This is quick and relatively painless, just tell us if you’re nervous! We will also take your Blood Pressure. This will be done by a trained member of the team in a private air-conditioned consultation room. There is a charge for this additional service – see panel opposite.
You might need a further appointment for a fasting blood glucose test, usually first thing in the morning before you have breakfast. We can refer you to your doctor if you prefer.
Whatever the test result is, you will be given full information and support and the opportunity to speak to one of our wellness pharmacists. They will suggest you see your GP if needed. At early stages, you can prevent the onset of diabetes so it’s worth putting your mind at rest.